Improved Batteries for EVs: How Adhesives play a role!
EV batteries are made up of modules having multiple cells contained in enclosures. These are secured onto frames for reinforcement. They weigh more than 700 kg. A lot of design and engineering thought process goes behind their thermal management, sealing, structural bonding and coating requirements. Of course, eventually batteries should be reliable, have high performance, be safe and durable and should save on costs.
There are huge ways in which adhesives are adding value into the entire process. Adhesives help manage temparature, aid conductivity, suppress noise, vibration and harshness and protect from corrosion.
All battery packs across the entire range of electric powertrains use adhesives for their manufacturing. They contribute in the following ways –
- improve crashworthiness and integrity of the battery pack
- inhibit vibration
- enable the use of dissimilar materials and help achieve lightweighting.
- help manage differences in thermal expansion due to multi-material battery packs and battery frames.
- support a range of robotic as well as manual application methods, including bead, injection and gap-filling.
- are ideal for bonding uncoated metal and offering compatibility for inner pack assemblies.
- bond multiple substrates and achieve crash durability over the lifetime of the battery.
- improve the integrity of the battery pack assembly in the body-in-white stage.
- enable short cycle times due to rapid-cure options.
Adhesives and Sealants are playing their part in many different areas: safety, performance, lifecycle, profitability, sustainability, driver experience and aftermarket serviceability.
All of these areas are under consideration as we proceed with product development and the introduction of materials into this fast-growing market.
Read this wonderful article here: More: https://www.adhesivesmag.com/articles/96461-sealing-solution-for-electric-vehicles